HISTORY OF THE MATAKANA
Built in 1903 in the what has become the heart of Matakana Village, The Matakana is a bit of an institution. It was built from the timber of a single kauri tree by the village post master and after his death became a boarding house for dairy factory workers. It was a restaurant of note in the 80’s run by a Frenchman with a michelin star tooted on his rump. Three farming couples and three city couples revitalised and upgraded the old girl in 2012 into a cool, relaxed and family friendly village pub. Now in the hands of a new group of enthusiastic owners since April 2016, they plan to continue on the traditions of the pub.